Friday, April 20, 2012

Chan The Man Unusual

The best stunt and fight guy ever, and very funny.  Jackie Chan took his Chinese martial arts training and influences and added inspiration from Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd, the great silent film comedy stars.   I've seen more than 20 of his movies and, yes, I've actually read his autobiography, I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action.

Here's a fight scene from Rumble in the Bronx, his breakthrough film in the U.S, and the first Jackie Chan film I saw (my son and I immediately went out and rented five more of his movies).  Although the film is set in the Bronx it looks to me like it was filmed in Vancouver, Canada (unless there is a mountain range in the Bronx and regular Hovercraft service between Manhattan and the Bronx - note: the Hovercraft runs over Jackie!).




Jackie had been a star in Asia for 15 years before Rumble in the Bronx and many of his best movies are from that period:  Drunken Master, Operation Condor, Police Story.

Here's a compilation of his greatest stunts. The #1 stunt was done with live electricity so it's probably not good to use this video for safety training.


No comments:

Post a Comment