Saturday, June 8, 2013

1978

In October 1978 I returned to the U.S. after spending five months in Europe with no job and no place of my own so I was living with friends and searching for work.  And somehow the Red Sox who were stomping the rest of the American League when I left in May didn't even win their division.  I'd been very out of touch while in Europe so when I got back to Boston I kept asking people what had happened.  No one wanted to talk about it.

Two brights spots that fall were hearing a couple of exciting new bands with their debut records.  The first was Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits featuring Mark Knopfler's unique guitar style.  Unusual sound and lyric and so breezy and cool.  The second was Roxanne by The Police.  Very catchy and employing what was to be their trademark on their first couple of albums - repeating over and over again the title of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment