Saturday, August 24, 2013

Incentives

From Coyote Blog

"I will give you my reminder of how to understand most government agencies:  Ignore the agency's stated purpose, and assume that it is being operated primarily for the benefit of its employees.  One will very often find that this simple heuristic is far better at explaining agency decisions than relying on the agency's mission statement  (this does not mean that there are not dedicated individuals in the agency truly, even selflessly, dedicated to the stated mission -- these two notions are not at all mutually exclusive.  Government agencies do not act badly because they are full of bad people, they act badly because their incentives cause good people to do stupid things)."
See, also, The Iron Law of Bureaucracy

2 comments:

  1. I believe I will print this & hang it in my office. "Government" can mean any types of large organizations.... Thanks for this reminder.
    -G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I meant "many", not "any". My writing's not THAT bad... )
    -G.

    ReplyDelete